BBC America has just announced that, at long last, the long running and much loved British TV show "QI" will be hitting the shores of the US this February.
For any US natives who are not familiar with the QI concept, basically it's a show all about FACTS. Beautiful FACTs. Most of which, will garner this kind of reception.
Below, 17 of the weirdest pop fact nuggets you most probably DID NOT know, courtesy of the QI research Team over at @QIKIPEDIA.
1. Snoop Dog once tried to hire an actual country.
Snoop Dogg tried to hire the country Liechtenstein to film a video in 2010. A year later it was made available to rent for £43000 a day.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) July 24, 2014
2. Beyonce is related to a famous late-Romantic composer.
3. You can actually visit a place called Kanye North (but not Kanye West :-()
Kanye North and Kanye South (but not Kanye West) are both parliamentary constituencies in the Kalahari. http://t.co/y1JN6pnMDg— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) February 17, 2014
4. Coldplay are the reason that you are most probably 1 hour late/early for college/school/work once a year. **shakes fist**
The inventor of Daylight Saving Time is the great-great-grandfather of Coldplay's Chris Martin: http://t.co/i01Vcut9Xl— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) August 2, 2014
5. The first music in space was a rendition of Jingle Bells.
The first live music performance from space was a rendition of Jingle Bells played on harmonica and mini sleigh bells on 16 December, 1965.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) December 16, 2014
6. Britney Spears' music is currently used to ward off Somali pirates.
The British Navy use Britney Spears' music to scare off Somali pirates.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) July 21, 2014
7.On Good Friday in 1930, the BBC reported that there was NO NEWS. NO. NEWS.
On Good Friday in 1930 the BBC evening news announced "There is no news." Then they played piano music instead.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) May 27, 2014
8. Nietzche on music:
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) February 28, 2014
9. Beethoven was apparently a terrible dancer...
According to his friends, Beethoven was never able to dance in time with music.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) July 29, 2011
10. COWS are apparently big fans of REM and Lou Reed.
Cows give 3% more milk when played slow music. Their playlist should include songs like REM's Everybody Hurts & Lou Reed’s Perfect Day.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) May 27, 2014
Michael Jackson wanted to turn Harry Potter into a musical. J. K. Rowling didn't let him.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) November 17, 2014
12. France completely wins at Harry Potter.
In the French Harry Potter books Voldemort's middle name is Elvis.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) July 4, 2014
13. This is probably the most adorable Harry Potter fact ever...
The child actors in the Harry Potter films hid so many sweets in their costume’s pockets that the wardrobe department had to sew them up.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) January 22, 2015
14. **AMERICA, LAND OF THE BRAVE**
From 2005-2009 America's pardoned Thanksgiving turkeys were extra lucky and went to live out their days at Disneyland.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) January 10, 2014
15. A reason to move to Seattle ;)
There are an estimated 15,000 practising vampires in America today: the majority of them live in Seattle.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) July 23, 2009
The Pentagon has a meticulous plan on how to protect the USA in the event of a zombie attack.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) May 20, 2014
17. IT'S ALUMINIUM GUYS ALUMINIUM
Of all the countries in the world, only the USA spells aluminium, 'aluminum'.— The QI Elves (@qikipedia) June 30, 2009