We all know that music is the door way to the soul, or something profound like that, right? Right.
Profundity aside, music always has a way of complimenting your emotions, situations, dramas and even relationships. There always seems to be a song that you're hammering that totally sums up how you're feeling in that moment. Whether you're getting ready to party, feeling down in the dumps or generally loving life there's a song for you out there.
So while we're feeling all sentimental, we've been trawling through out playlists, library and yes, even CD collections (remember those?) to find the perfect 00s songs that are THE perfect expression of the hella crazy rollercoaster of emotions that are relationships.
1) When you really like someone and you ask them to come and 'study' at your house.
Could it really be anything else apart from Christina? Especially when she sings the line "you betta cross the line". BOOM.
2) That sweet buzzing and euphoric feeling you get when you first start dating someone and you feel like they just get you, y'know?
Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces Of Me" is the song that sums up how hard you can crush on someone.
3) When you ask them to be exclusive and they say yes!
They can't fight the moonlight. YOUR MOONLIGHT.
4) When you're seeing someone and you would TOTALLY do anything, like get a bad tattoo and speak in hyperbole.
Yes this video might be a tad emoshe, but take the song's title literally and The Calling were your heart's spokesmen.
5) When you and your boo have your first serious fight and you're trying to figure out ways to get back together because you just know that they're the one.
In the immortal words of Mariah Carey, "we belong together."
6) When you are L-I-V-I-N-G in that honeymoon period and it's the sweetest, most beautifully chaotic thing ever.
To everyone else this is kinda creepy and a bit extreme, but you screaming "I love you, I love you, I love you" out loud at random bursts is exactly what you feel like you should be doing.
7) When you're 'going steady', but you're crushing on someone else.
This problematic bop certainly highlights those infidelity feels. Plus, we've all sent texts via Excel, right?
8) When your boo is being a douche and acting totally weird around their friends.
Surely the only thing to do is wear a tie over a wife-beater and hit up the mall, right?
9) When you're totally torn between dumping someone and staying with them because, well, feelings.
Alicia Keys knows all about these woes. It's like see-saw, you keep falling in and out.
10) When things turn sour pretty quickly and they start to ignore your calls and generally not be that nice.
Oh Aly & AJ, it really is a potential break-up song.
11) When you find out they were cheating and realise that it's TOTALLY over.
JoJo's seminal anthem "Leave (Get Out)" not only captures that moment of brutal anger, but also is PERFECT for screaming along to when you're feeling particularly pent up.
12) When you're still "Stuck" on your ex and you really don't know what to do. Do you text? Do you open that snapchat story? Or do you just go back to bed and wish it weren't all happening?
When Stacy Orrico sings "I hate you but I love you, I can't stop thinking of you," you know that she's right. Ugh.
13) When you realise that actually you're owning this situation and you won't cry no more tears.
Brb, just filing our nails like Queen B because WDGAF.
14) When enough time has passed between you, and you've put your epic love affair behind you, that you feel ready to be friends.
Gwen Stefani's "Cool" is the ultimate "you've moved on. They've moved on. In fact, you've both started dating again and it's all cool, but you still get a pang of sadness because you're not together anymore" jam. Also, probably one of the best songs of the 00s (or ever?).